Video: Historic Lockkeeper’s House relocates on the National Mall
The National Mall’s oldest structure will become part of a new educational site
Dating as far back as circa 1836, the Lockkeeper’s House is the oldest structure on the National Mall and the the last remaining lock-keeper's house of the C&O Canal Extension. At one time, it served as a tavern, but soon it will be part of a new educational site with a visitor’s information center and a digital exhibition about the history of the National Mall, reports WTOP.
As part of the Constitution Gardens revitalization project, the Lockkeeper’s House recently underwent a move, which can be seen in the video found below. The revitalization project that Constitution Gardens will undergo involves the construction of a 160-foot-long pavilion, 18-inch retaining wall along Constitution Avenue, glass-walled restaurant on the north side, and a grand staircase that leads down to the lake on the south side.
The developers behind the project are Rogers Partners and PWP Landscape, who won a national design competition in 2012.
This D.C. structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. In December 2016, repairs began on the original stone with plans to construct a new brick chimney.